West Coast rap legend Snoop Dogg launches his “2017 Mount Kushmore Wellness Retreat Tour” on April 13 in Seattle, Washington. There are sixteen cities on his schedule including San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Nashville.
Snoop won’t be hitting the road alone. He’s bringing along Method Man, Redman, Wiz Khalifa, Cypress Hill, Lil Uzi Vert, Berner, and Flatbush Zombies.
It might be hard to fathom, but Snoop Dogg has been in the business for 25 years. Therefore, now seems like a great time to review his legendary career. Peep below for 10 things you (probably) don’t know about Tha Doggfather.
- Snoop Dogg’s real name is Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr. He’s also gone by Snoop Doggy Dogg, Snoop Lion, and a plethora nicknames. My favorite is “Snoopzilla.”
- Snoop Dogg is a hall famer. Snoop Dogg is a member the WWE Hall Fame. He was inducted in March 2016 prior to Wrestlemania 32. He’s also cousin to current WWE wrestler, Sasha Banks.
- Snoop makes friends all over the world. At one time or another, he’s been banned from entering three European countries. Furthermore, he promised never to visit Sweden after police unjustly arrested him.
- Snoop has had three his own television shows. Those three shows are Doggy Fizzle Televizzle, Dogg After Dark, and Snoop Dogg’s Father Hood. Together they account for 33 episodes.
- Snoop is the Susan Lucci the hip hop world. Snoop has been nominated for 17 Grammy Awards but doesn’t seem to like the Grammy’s much. He has no victories. The only person with more nominations and no victories is Morten Lindberg. Lindberg is not a rapper. He’s a sound engineer.
- Snoop is a film auteur. In 2002, Snoop directed Snoop Dogg’s Hustlaz: Diary a Pimp. It followed his 2001 tour de force, Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle. Both mix hip hop music with hardcore pornography.
Snoop did not perform any sex acts in the film, which were huge successes. Not only did Doggystyle become the first hardcore video to ever appear on Billboard’s music video sales chart, but the films earned Snoop two AVN Awards. Those are awards given to honor the adult film business.
- The first person Snoop ever smoked a blunt with was Bushwick Bill. We all know Snoop’s affinity for marijuana, but he does far more than just smoke the stuff. He’s also invested in several mainstream marijuana-related products like Leafs By Snoop for example.
- Snoop performed at the Kennedy Center He did so in 2013 to honor Herbie Hancock. This is unficial, but Snoop might be the only person in the world to appear in a porno and at the Kennedy Center Honors.
- Snoop appeared in an episode Monk. Your grandparents are probably very familiar with Snoop Dogg the actor. No, they didn’t see him in Mac & Devin Go to High School, but in an episode the comedy-drama detective mystery series starring Tony Shaloub. In the episode, Snoop plays a rapper named “Murderuss.” For the episode, Snoop recorded a rap version the Monk theme song.
- Snoop doesn’t like the word “Dogg” as much as you think. Including the upcoming Neva Left, Snoop has released 15 studio albums. Of those 15 albums, only four have the word “dogg” in the title: Doggystyle (1993), Tha Doggfather (1996), No Limit Top Dogg (1999), Doggumentary (2011). You’d think there would be more.