The Australian restaurant Shah Kebabs at the Brunswick Street Mall, in Fortitude Valley, is currently under investigation for having an illicit dance party. Videos have been circulating the Internet showing guests dancing close together on August 23, 2020. They ignored social distancing guidelines and failed to wear masks.
According to the Weekend Australian, “Queensland Police Service Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said both the kebab shop and the people involved were under investigation. “That is extremely disappointing that kind of behavior,” he said. The message to all of those persons – and a lot of them are young people I have to say, so sorry young people – is have a think before you go out and think about the impacts of your not abiding by social distancing in the community and what that means.”
Gollschewski also stated, “We’ve had too many instances of people affected by alcohol, misbehaving, assaulting police, assaulting security guards. While this sort of thing may well happen in normal times in our community, what’s really clear is that this exacerbates the risk to our community at the moment.”
Videos that were circulating Tik Tok showed the staff behind the counter dancing along with the crowd in the restaurant. As of Monday afternoon, there is no new news about what is going to happen to the Shah Kebabs restaurant. Unfortunately, stories like these are grasping the public’s attention every week. Rave or not, our choices have consequences. We need to understand that those consequences affect the whole world around us and other people’s futures. I understand we want our normal lives back and that we want to hit the clubs and bars, but that time has not come yet. It’s been a rough year so far, but we can turn it around and beat this virus. We all just have to work together. If people continue to violate safety protocols, that time may never come.